In October 1954 Young White Trucks, Inc. began operation as a dealer for the truck manufacturers, White Motor Co. Herb Young, his wife Nellie, and sons Richard and Robert founded the company with 6 employees, located on 3rd Street in downtown Canton, Ohio.
By the mid 60′s, the company had outgrown the 3rd Street location and moved to a facility near the intersection of Southway Street and Perry Drive. Growth continued, and in 1976, the company name evolved into Young Truck Sales, Inc. to reflect the addition of the Freightliner franchise as a separate line of business. The late 70′s saw the addition of a body shop and a truck leasing company.
A devastating fire in April of 1983 destroyed the Southway and Perry facility. The company made the decision to rebuild, and within one week of the fire, was back in full operation. The decision to rebuild proved to be a good one, as Young’s continued to grow afterward.
In 1989, Young purchased JayMac Body & Frame and expanded the leasing operation under the name of Young NationaLease, Inc. In the 90’s, change accelerated. Young established a separate facility on Shepler Church Drive for their Volvo and GMC line of trucks, sold their leasing business to Penske Truck Leasing, and changed control of the dealership to the third generation – Craig A. Young as President and Dealer Principal, and Robert P. Young as Vice-President and Used Truck Manager.
Today Young Truck Sales, Inc. includes the Freightliner/Isuzu dealership on Southway St, the Volvo dealership and Young Leasing on Shepler Church, a trailer repair and rehab shop on Navarre Road, and the body shop, JayMac Body & Frame on Ivydale Ave. Between these four facilities, all located in Canton, Ohio, Young Truck Sales, Inc. employs over 100 full time employees, and is proud to be a vital part of the community.